Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tales from Sunnyside Rest Home

Subtitle: Life in the Loony Bin

I'm teasing Mom that she is running Sunnyside Rest Home. Today Ev and I went over in the afternoon while Bill went to the dentist for a lost filling. What a hoot!

Aunt Helen could not hold on to my name or who I was today. She has latched on to the idea that I remind her of her daughter Barbie. This idea recurs to her quite regularly. Here is the conversation:

Aunt Helen: You know, you remind me of someone in our family. You remind me so much of my daughter Barbie!

Gwen: That's what I hear.

Aunt Helen: Oh, you have heard that before?

Gwen: Yes.

Aunt Helen: Who has told you that?

Gwen: You have!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Dad has found an interesting new way to deal with life. While I was there today, I stepped down the hall to make a phone call. When I came back to the den, Dad had unbuttoned his hawaiian shirt. Still sitting in his chair with his therapy belt on, but with his shirt pulled back to either side. What in the world?

Gwen: Hey, Pops, what are you doing?

Dad: I wanted to unbutton my shirt.

Gwen: (feeling forehead) Are you hot?

Dad: No, I just wanted to unbutton my shirt.

Gwen: Do you normally do that?

Dad: Yes, I do every night.

Short silence. I remember the fresh pot of coffee in the kitchen.

Gwen: Would you like some coffee?

Dad: Yes.

Gwen: I'll bring you some coffee if you button your shirt.

So Dad pulled his shirt together and buttoned the middle button. I brought him a fresh hot cup of coffee. The next time I looked over, he had unbuttoned his shirt and pulled it to either side again. So now my dad is an exhibitionist. I should have taken a picture. I will if he keeps it up.

I'm not even going to ask what's next. I don't want to know. Just another day at Sunnyside.

1 comment:

  1. "Lather, rinse, repeat!" LOL!!!! I just love your sense of humour even in the midst of all you are dealing with! Made me literally LOL!! Love you and am praying for you all!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete