Friday, June 25, 2010

Hello, Goodbye

Brother Bill is on his way. He should arrive this evening. He is taking over from Loren for the next two weeks. I'll take Loren to the airport tomorrow. I know he needs to go home, but I don't want him to leave. I will miss my Bwudda. I am so thankful for my two big brothers and their dedication to our parents.

Aunt Helen is also on her way. We will pick her up at the airport Sunday afternoon. Mom is thrilled. The kids and I went over this morning to help a little with getting the house ready. The girls dusted and vacuumed. Nate mowed and blew. I threw away very out of date items from Dad's medicine cabinet and tried to scrub mildew from the woodwork. Mom does not have a lot of clutter and keeps the living areas clean, but the back part of the house is slipping. Gayle suggested we start cleaning for Mom weekly. I think we could slip that in under the I-don't-need-help-I-am-capable radar if we go when Nate mows and just stay for a couple of hours.

Dad is some stronger and settled at home, but he is still wobbly. And so hunched over. I don't think I've ever seen him look like a little old man the way he does now. I realize he is too big to fit comfortably in a hospital bed, but he still looks frail. He is doing okay, but hanging by a thread. I really think his hold on independence is tenuous. Dad is still getting up every hour or so in the night. Needing help every time, like a new baby. Except that "caring for children is about celebration and growth. ...Caring for our parents is about grief and loss. ...We start living moment to moment with them, struggling with our own conflicting feelings, trying to be grateful for whatever abilities they still have today, hoping they can continue to manage tomorrow." (Eleanor Cade) Amen.

1 comment:

  1. So true--grief and loss, and prayers that they can become whole again in Jesus' arms. I am praying for a gentle journey into the complete healing that we know awaits them. But first, fun with Aunt Helen!!!

    ReplyDelete