Monday, June 28, 2010

Blog Pool

Well, Aunt Helen is here, safely ensconced at Mom and Dad's, with Brother Bill attending. Should be a very interesting visit. I would describe Aunt Helen's memory at this point as a sieve. She wondered "Didn't we have someone else with us?" when Nate and Ev sat behind Mom and Aunt Helen in the Suburban on the way home. She wonders where Mom is when she goes into the kitchen. Out of sight, out of mind, literally.

I was wondering if we should start a blog pool on how long this visit will last. Cousin M flew in with Aunt Helen, talked with us at the airport, then hightailed it out of there. Aunt Helen doesn't have a return flight. Cousin M recommended a few days; Mom wants three weeks. Any predictions?

I know Mom was not prepared for this drastic change in her beloved sister. She knows Aunt Helen is 95. She knows she has had a stroke in the last year. She knows she has a brain tumor. But still on the way to the airport yesterday, Mom kept insisting Aunt Helen would want to go shopping. And would want to walk distances.

Mom: "Unless she has changed, my sister will want to walk."

Gwen: "I think she has changed, Mom. She had a stroke. She has a brain tumor."

Mom: (Silence.)

Last night in the kitchen, Mom confessed: I can tell Aunt Helen has changed.

I do hope Mom can enjoy what will almost certainly be her last visit with her sister. It is what it is. On the way home from the airport yesterday, Mom was pointing out the crepe myrtles, about the only thing blooming in our summer heat. She was remembering how the wildflowers were blooming for Aunt Helen's previous visit. Aunt Helen sweetly replied:

"My dear sister, it is so nice just to be here with you. That's the main thing, really."

Yes, yes it is.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Aunt Helen's heart is still intact, thought her mind is under attack from the brain tumor and stroke. I am praying for a good visit, and acceptance all around. How we long for our new bodies, free from decay. I think a week to 10-12 days will be a good time frame. We will see! Mom gets to call it, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gift this visit will be. Not only to the two precious sisters, but to those of you watching love in action.

    A recent hospitalization for my mom brought a similar scene. My 84-year-old grandmother came to see my mom. She kissed her bald head and fixed her bedcovers and just loved on her.

    Just wanted you to know I am praying for you Gwen.

    Your FIAR friend,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete