Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blueberries for...Grandma

My mom is a serious blueberry picker. She has always outpicked all of us, every time we go. I just figured blueberry picking was out this year, what with the heat, Mom's energy level, Dad's condition, etc.

Hah.

Sister Ruth returned from her visit at the folks' yesterday with plans to go blueberry picking with Mom this morning. She, Luke, and Nate left the house today around 7:30, armed with water bottles and enthusiasm. Later in the morning, I called Ruth's cell phone after I worked with a student, thinking I would pick Nate up from Grandma's house while I was in town. It was 10:45. Surely they were back from berry picking.

Hah.

They were still at the blueberry farm. Then they went back to Mom and Dad's house. The next time I talked to Ruth, she told me the boys were exhausted; she (Ruth) was dirty, sweaty and tired; and Mom was fixing everybody lunch. Quintessential Mom. I saw Ruth's car coming down the road to our house when I was taking the girls to basketball camp at 1:00.

I would ask Ruth how many pounds Mom picked, but she's asleep.

Postscript: Ruth says 11 pounds. Go Grandma.

2 comments: