Thursday, July 8, 2010

You Might Have Aging Parents If...

your phone spells DNR.

*sigh*

There has been some disagreement among siblings as to Dad's wishes concerning medical intervention. Mom has been very clear about her desires, but we felt we needed to hear a definitive statement from Dad. Last night, our dear doctor came by the house. He talked with Dad about his recurrent pneumonia and different treatment options. Bill and I expressed our desire to honor Dad's wishes, not our own or anyone else's. This decision is Dad's.

Here is what Dad articulated at the end of the discussion:

"I do not want to extend my life. If the Lord calls me home, I want to say, 'Yes, Lord.'"

Gwen: "Is that your final answer?"

Dad: (smiles) "Yes."

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gwen, I know how hard it is to face that decision for DNR. When my mom was hospitalized last month and I flew home from vacation, the thing that bothered her the most was not the turmor they found in her brain! It was the DNR bracelet they put on her arm. She told the Dr. and the nurse, "I know that is my choice, but do I have to be reminded of it every time I move my arm? Isn't there another way to honor that wish?"

    The next sweet nurse that came in brought colored tape to cover the huge letters D.N.R.

    Shedding tears of understanding.

    Your FIAR friend,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh....((((hugs)))) I know with my mom it was what was coming, but when the moment came it was an awfully hard request to honor. You just want to hold on so tight, surly not your parent. :( Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete