Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Table Already Set

Aunt Helen is a published author. Her childhood memoir, One Time Upon the Upper McDowell, is an interesting read about growing up on a farm in Kansas during the Depression.

During this visit, Mom pulled out some packets that Aunt Helen sent her about ten years ago. They are short stories and poems, handwritten on cardstock, and stored in handmade cloth envelopes. With permission, I'm making copies for myself and my siblings. I think Aunt Helen's daughters should present these writings to Aunt Helen's publisher. They are treasures.

Here's a sample.

The Table Already Set

There were no hugs or kisses
But, the table was already set.

I don't remember Mama greeting, "I
love you dear children."
But, the table was already set.

Covered soft and smooth with bleached
flour sacks feather stitched together,
blue teapot and cups embroidered....

The big round table
the table of promise
where we each had our place

Grandma, Mama, the girl who stayed,
Bud, Bill, Tootsie and me, --yet,
room enough for the hermit on yonder
hill prone to wander at supper time....

Papa looked down from his picture
on the wall.

We came to the table alread set.

A time to tell
A time to listen
A time to laugh
A time to remind us who we were

Under the mellow glow from the
amber glass beaded shade above

We asked for a blessing
gave thanks for food enough

Now, I understand

Love set the table.
Love seasoned the cabbage soup.



1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's just beautiful, Gwen. Thanks so much for sharing it with me. :)

    ReplyDelete