Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grim

So that's how I'm feeling today: Grim.

Dave has a couple of weeks off starting Monday and we are tossing around ideas of what to do with our kids. I told him I wished we had someone to vacation with us because I just don't feel very fun. He teased me that he had noticed I wasn't my usual jovial, joke-telling self. Okay, so I realize I'm not ever Jim Carrey. But I do usually find some fun in whatever I do. I'm just not feeling it this time.

Dad, however, is feeling very upbeat. Here's a text from Loren today:

Good mornin everbody. we are up and at em again...dad slept well, woke up in a great mood, very little energy, and he has double vision...he woke up with it yesterday and it went away after a couple of hours...dad says tell the folks im feelin better every day...

I asked Loren if he thinks Dad thinks he is really getting better. He replied:

No he is getting worse but i swear i love his attitude

Yesterday Loren and I were talking about Dad's strength. I was wrongly equating it with his effort. Loren pointed out that Dad is exerting tremendous effort; there is just little strength left. After I saw Loren move Dad from his wheelchair to his chair following lunch, I told Loren that his last act before leaving town must be to move Dad into his hospital bed. Dad is about 6'2" and 200 pounds. No one else can move that big man like Loren does.

I hate to think of my dad stuck in a hospital bed.

Grim.

Well, now, my dear sister's comment has made me think of this song. Perfect remedy for a grim spirit.

2 comments:

  1. So, Dad is being cheerful on the road to glory; how consistent with the way he has lived his life! He doesn't want to complain about these minor struggles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. So like him. "And all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory. And I realize just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me."

    ReplyDelete