Monday, July 5, 2010

Practice Run?

I guess I got to appease my bad bad daughter feelings yesterday. Dad began another of his now-familiar downhill slides complete with chills, shaking, weakness and lapsing lucidity. I contacted siblings to let them know this could be it. Dave took over at our house so I could head to the folks. I spent the night on the folks' couch in case there was a crisis in the night. And...Dad got better. :)

Here he is this morning with Bill after a lap around the driveway.




Pretty amazing! Dad is still very weak. Bill has to haul him up instead of Dad standing up on his own. In fact, shortly after I took that pic, Bill fetched the wheelchair to bring Dad back inside. Dad still wants to get up, walk, talks about riding the bike, etc., but the fact is he has no stamina. His blood pressure gets low. His hands and feet/legs are swollen. He is spending most of his time sleeping and even when eating he is very quiet, as if it takes all he has just to carry out basic functions. Just looking at him, you would think he is not long for this world, but Dad has an amazingly strong will. There is no predicting with this man!

I think yesterday was like a trial run for all of us. We got to process emotions, see each other's reactions (good, bad, and ugly), and really think hard about the details of "What if...?" I am thankful for my brother staying here with the folks. I am thankful for my supportive family. I am thankful I can be here. I came home this afternoon with a splitting, gut-wrenching stress headache.

We'll see what tomorrow holds.

(Don't want to leave out the sisters. Here is their shot from this morning.)

2 comments:

  1. Curious, did the sisters go the July 4th picnic?
    Good daughter, bad daughter, we love you just the same. (which btw..bad daughter does not exist in our eyes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Gwen. Thanks for writing the blog, and for being on the front lines with Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete