Saturday, August 28, 2010

Turning the Corner

Thursday afternoon, we were all looking at each other concernedly and Bill and Cathy were considering staying another extra day. Mom didn't seem to want them to leave. We talked amongst ourselves about having dinners with Mom and having the girls take turns spending the night.

Who were we kidding??? Clearly we had forgotten who we were dealing with!

Mom let Bill and Cathy know on Friday morning that they should not hang around on her account. She did not want us coming over for dinner. She would not entertain the idea of the girls spending the night. She did accept an invitation from a friend to attend the church's monthly Fellowship Dinner, which consists of her old cronies playing Mexican Train Dominoes and eating.

Today as I was thinking I had waited an acceptable time before calling, Mom called me about a document that came in the mail. I asked her how she was doing and she replied: "I've discovered I enjoy being alone."

Very Socratic, dontcha think? Now begins the tentative dance of staying distant enough to give Mom space, but remaining close enough to keep her from being isolated.

3 comments:

  1. I had a very nice, long conversation with Mom today. She talked a lot, going through the events of the visitation, burial and funeral. She thanked me for the music, talked about the military honors, the guests from out-of-town, and the things that the siblings had gone through and requested. She sounded so healthy and active that I could hardly believe this was the gaunt figure I had seen days earlier... I hope she has some pleasant months ahead of her before the next storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May was excited about spending the night with Ann and Karis. She even began planning movies they could watch. Maybe she will decide this might be kind of fun...just for the fun of it. May is ready when Ann is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom said she was thinking about Karis' idea and thinks she would like for Karis and MA to give her texting lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete