Saturday, August 7, 2010

Perchance to Dream

I've been thinking about Dad's hallucinations and wondering if they have meaning. Remember my boss' insight into Dad's mental wanderings in the hospital? I was thinking that I should tell her some of his "visions" and see what she has to say.

Then, this morning when I walked in, Dad was looking something up in the dictionary. Sort of. Well, he was holding the dictionary in his lap. After a while, I asked what he was looking up.

Dad: I don't really know. (Pause) Oh, I'm looking for the word that means 'to emasculate'. I think it starts with an 'a'. What word is that?

Gwen: Uh, I don't know.

Dad: It has to do with a dream I had last night. I haven't told anyone about it. I guess I'll look up 'emasculate'.

Dad flipped through a few pages and the conversation went elsewhere.

Here are the terms listed under emasculate in my thesarus:

weaken,
enfeeble,
debilitate,
erode,
undermine,
cripple;
remove the sting from,
pull the teeth out of;

informal water down.

It also recommended looking up castrate, which rendered the following terms:

neuter,
geld,
cut,
desex,
unsex,
sterilize,
fix,
alter,
doctor.


Hmmm. Wonder how Dad's feeling?

1 comment:

  1. Dad, it is all right--you were always a strong leader and provider for your family. Now is the time that your earthly tent is fading away. Rest in the care of your family that loves you, and wait for the Heavenly Father's timing.

    ReplyDelete