Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sweet Conversations

This past weekend before he died, I got to spend a couple of days and one night caring for Dad. God in His kindness allowed Mom and Dad and I to have some really sweet time together. Dad was clearly growing weaker, so much that Mom even noticed and commented on Friday.

Mom: I think Dad is getting weaker.

Gwen: I think it is getting time to let Dad go.

Mom: Oh, yes.


Mom also asked me Friday night about hiring someone to help with Dad. I was able to tell her what I had learned. We talked about different ideas for caring for Dad all last weekend. The really funny thing is that once again Mom was insisting she could care for Dad on her own! The woman is fierce.

Saturday morning, Dad did not want to get out of the hospital bed. I kept asking, but he wasn't up to moving.

Dad: I don't know why I should sleep so much.

Gwen: Well, Dad, it is taking all your energy just for activities of daily living. Your body is wearing out and I really think soon you will go to Jesus. Then you'll be running through the fields in heaven and you won't get tired at all.

Dad: That sounds good. I'll be chasing my beautiful bride.

Gwen: (laughing) Not yet! But soon.


Then after a little morning nap, Dad wanted to go to the study and get some work done. Sadly, he didn't have enough leg strength to even get lift off from the edge of the bed. I pulled hard, but only succeeded in pulling Dad forward, not up.

Dad: What we need is two or three strong guys to help us. Didn't we have some boys staying here?

Gwen: I'm sorry, Dad. I wish I could pick you up and take you wherever you want to go.

Dad: No, because I want to go to heaven. And you can't go yet.

Gwen: I'll see you there someday.


Oh my. I have tears streaming down my face as I remember those tender moments. For an extremely non-communicative family, these were amazingly meaningful interactions. Gifts.

3 comments:

  1. Gwen, words, where are my words?? I am so thrilled for you. God gives us what we need and then sprinkles it with much more than we ever ask for. God is so good. Now I have tears streaming. I love your parents, always have. Still, words fail me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful for these sweet gifts from Papa to you and your parents! What a beautiful praise!! Love you and am praying for you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOBBING.....such sweet conversations. SO very thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete