Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bad Cop

That would be me.

It has become clear that Mom is, well, babying my nephew Paul. It seems she is trying to protect him from the realities of taking care of Dad. I spoke to her and Paul on Sunday, trying to be gentle and understated, but reminding that is why he is here. I had to be the bad cop again yesterday and speak more directly. I suggested to Paul in front of Mom that he might need to ask his Grandma to go into another room and pray for him, while he did the task at hand for Grandpa. Then I privately reiterated to my quiet, mild-mannered nephew that he needs to stand up to Grandma and do what needs doing.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Paul is so kind to volunteer selflessly for this duty. Grandma is valiantly struggling with role reversals and new responsibilities. Grandpa is putting all his effort into the activities of daily living. Loren keeps calling me the boss. I don't like being the boss.

And I hate being the bad cop.

1 comment:

  1. Gwen, thank you for being the boss! We need you! It is so sweet of Grandma to try to protect Paul, and it is so good of you to explain to Paul what is going on. He will probably get the hang of it when his week is over. I enjoy his 10 or so texts a day, and try to encourage him to do as you are describing!

    ReplyDelete