Friday, August 20, 2010

Rumblings

Mom confessed yesterday morning that she has a rash on her abdomen. Nurse Brenda had looked at it (I don't know when, yesterday before I got there?) and advised Mom to see a doctor. Brenda thought it might be shingles and evidently the sooner you diagnose and medicate, the better off you are with shingles. Mom hemmed and hawed and made a feeble attempt to talk with the doctor's nurse. I thought about how wretched the weekend and next week would be with a full-blown case of the shingles and called the doctor's office. Bill took Mom to her appointment yesterday at 3:15.

Later in the afternoon, I texted Bill to see what the doctor said. I really wasn't ready for the news. Bill said Mom said (Bill didn't go in with her) the doctor said this rash is likely due to either a clot or heart-related. He gave her a topical cream for comfort. I've been hoping that Mom's heart would fail before the colon cancer blocks her intestine. But I guess I was hoping it would happen in a few months.

I know I'm extrapolating. I know I need to talk to the doctor to find out what was actually said. It is just sort of a kick in the gut. A not-so-distant rumbling of thunder, reminding us the next storm is on the horizon.

Postscript: Spoke with doctor. Rash not connected with heart or clot. Not shingles. Just some rash.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I was hoping Mom (and we) would have a few months of health and peace and time for her to live quietly alone before the next passing... Find out what the doctor really said, because I don't want to believe this just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah. I have a call in to Ves' office.

    ReplyDelete