Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday

As we drove towards church today, I warned the children I would be practicing bad parenting. I was planning to drop them off for sunday school and go to visit Dad. They asked, "Why is that bad parenting?" So I had to explain the deal about parents dropping their kids off for church when they don't go themselves, sort of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.

Meg and Karis really wanted to come with me to visit their Grandpa, so after dropping off Nate and Ev, away we went. The girls looked awfully cute in their yellow gowns and blue gloves. Dad was eating his breakfast when we walked in. Yea for eating! It soon became evident that Dad's hearing aids were not in, even though he said they were. I found one on his bedside table. I couldn't find the other until Meg pointed it out on the floor. A little later, I stepped on the battery. They work so much better with batteries. I don't know why they were in such disarray. I asked to speak with Dad's nurse when we came in, but she never appeared.

It took Dad a while to realize he had visitors. He said he thought Mom came in earlier, but it turned out to be a nurse. And he said it was especially confusing because he couldn't remember Mom's name, but then he did. "Carrie." Oh boy. Dad didn't have coffee on his breakfast tray and said he would like some. When I went out to find some, he told Karis and Meg that his wife had gone to get him some coffee. I was telling Dad about the christian school high school graduation we had attended the day before. When I told him about a friend of Karis' college plans, he said, "Yes, she came by and told me about that."

Still lots and lots of coughing. Dad willingly showed the girls how he uses the breathing thing that is supposed to help break up the congestion. It's nice that he doesn't seem especially agitated or resistant, just confused and sick. Umm, that is a pretty pathetic attempt at optimism.

P.S.--I should add that Mom thought Dad seemed much improved this afternoon when she went to visit.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished reading your blog from the beginning. You have material for a book--only better than most I have read lately. I'm serious. I know so many people dealing with this right now & it is real genuine gutsy compassionate sad frustrating & insightful. I can't believe how well you have captured the Ann I know.
    Love you & we are praying. Marty

    ReplyDelete