Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Doctor's Thoughts

When we were leaving Dad's room yesterday, I stopped by the nurses' station to ask about the doctor. I had heard there was one, but had never seen him. I asked if he could give me a call. Dr. Sharpless did call and graciously gave me an update on Dad's condition. Dr. S is concerned that Dad sounds wheezier, has increased coughing, and that he is not eating. He has ordered a chest x-ray for today to check on the pneumonia and will consult with Dr. Xang, the pulmonologist. He is putting Dad on some steroids. He is also ordering a swallow test to see if Dad is aspirating when he eats/drinks. Vitals are still good, just not seeing progress as hoped.

Once again, I am thankful for good medical care for my parents! I love that every person I have seen at this extended care hospital treats my dad like a valuable person. Yesterday, we couldn't get the tube to stay in Dad's nose with his oxygen. I called for someone to help, and the lady who came in gently adjusted the cannula, then commented on Dad's pretty blue eyes. You know how when someone is kind to your children, it is like a kindness to you? Turns out it's the same way with aging parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment