Saturday, May 15, 2010

I'm Not Making This Up

Dad went to the ER today in an ambulance. *sigh* I asked Mom, "What happened to you all taking turns?" We've always laughingly observed that they take turns having medical emergencies. No fair going at the same time!

When Mom came out from her short nap this afternoon, Dad asked for a blanket. He was in his chair, shaking, chilled and weak. Mom called me (yea!) and Dave (yea!) and the visiting nurse, Brenda. I was at work, scheduled through 4:00. Mom called at 1:51 and I miraculously got off at 2:00 and got her message. Since I was already in town, I probably arrived at the folks' house sooner than if I had been at home for her original call. When I walked in, Dad was still in his chair, with labored breathing. He didn't feel feverish at first, but then got hotter and hotter as we waited for Nurse Brenda. He started to get disoriented and began his routine about needing to get up. (Remember that?) He threw up once.

Brenda arrived around 2:45 and quickly determined that Dad needed to go in for medical attention. His temperature was up to 103.5 and his blood pressure was down to 100/74. We tried to load Dad into his wheelchair, but it was impossible. Brenda called for an ambulance. The paramedics arrived around 3:30 and Dad's bp was down to 88 over something. They were not the best paramedics I've ever seen and had a hard time understanding why we had called. Just take my dad to the hospital, please!

By the time the boys delivered Dad to the hospital, his bp was down to 60 over something. (How is it we left the house at the same time, took different routes, I didn't speed, and we got to the hospital before them? We watched them wheel Dad across the parking lot as we looked out the waiting room window.) He received prompt and attentive care in the ER. Mom really liked the ER doctor and the nurse. Dad was amazingly alert and cooperative. Physical exam, chest x-ray, 6 vials of blood draws, urine sample. Dad wanted a blanket. Mom wanted a blanket. Then Mom wanted to go home and could not wait for Dave, so I left and took her home. She needs to eat and rest. We will go back in the morning.

While we were there, the ER doctor (Dr. Becker) ordered antibiotics through the IV. His theory is that Dad has some sort of infection, we just don't know what yet. Dave texted to say they were also giving lovinox. Odd, isn't it, to be giving a blood thinner to a man already on plavix? Then Dave texted to say Dad is being moved to CCU Room 16. He has an infection, possible early onset pneumonia, and a possible heart attack according to some bloodwork.

That's all I know. Good thing we buckled our seatbelts.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Prayers! Love you, Gwen, and thank you for taking care of Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow from me also! what a Saturday for you and family. Thanks so much for taking care of mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you so...and am praying!!!

    ReplyDelete