Thursday, May 27, 2010

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch...er, Hospital

Dad is still struggling with his pneumonia. It's still there in the x-ray, still there in his labored breathing, wheezing, coughing, and out-of-breath speech. When I went to see Dad Wednesday evening, he couldn't remember much of his day. He couldn't remember if Mom had been by or not. (She had been in the morning.) He couldn't remember if he had gone for physical therapy. (He had not due to an a.m. plummet in blood pressure.) He was very interested in the Weather Channel and the reports of hail in Denver and flooding in St. Louis and KC. He knew me when I came in and he looked great. He'd had a shower and shampoo and was sitting up in a freshly made bed. He was drinking a can of Ensure, indicative of not eating dinner.

And now for a funny Dad story. His mind can go in and out during the same conversation, even the same sentence. The other day when I was visiting, Dad was telling me about who had come to see him. Lou and Peggy (my in-laws). Lou and Gerrie (old and dear friends). Jerry (church friend). Then Dad named some man he had worked with at the plant years and years ago. I thought, "Oh boy. Here we go." I said something like, "You have had really good co-workers over the years, haven't you?" He agreed and we moved on to talk about something else. Later, I was relating this to Mom and she said, "Oh yes. That man called the house and he went to visit Dad." I laughed so hard! Here I am thinking he's gone off to LaLa Land and Dad's just telling me what really happened. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment