Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And Answers

*Exactly what stage is the cancer? Is it in the liver?
The cancer is Stage 4. It is not in the liver, just colon and lungs.
*Would surgery to remove the colon cancer now help ease Mom's pain on down the road? Not curative, but maybe palliative?
*Would taking chemo to shrink the tumor make Mom more comfortable on down the road?

Nope.
*Are there any stats on life expectancy with chemo? As opposed to the 6-8 mos. without?
Maybe extend life expectancy to a year.
*Planning--What to expect as Mom dies from this disease? What kind of care to plan for?
Varies.

Mom seems pretty set on not pursuing any treatment. Makes sense to me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh friend, I am so sorry to read these updates. :( Praying for your parents and for you and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen,
    I am Kimberly from the FIAR boards. My mom has metastatic colon cancer. Hers began in just the colon. Five years later, it moved to the lungs. Now 2 1/2 years of chemo later, it is in her brain.

    I am praying for your mother and my mother. I hate that anyone has to share this walk but I will gladly share the support and comfort that I can.

    May the Lord give you strength and peace. That is what I pray for these days.

    Feel free to email me at any time. I understand so much...more than I thought I would ever have to understand.

    Your sister in Christ,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete