Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Medical News

Dr. Nish came by while I was still in Dad's room and said Dad's heart is stable. He said they are still watching Dad because any time there is something wrong with another organ or body system, it stresses the heart. He observed that since Dad's heart is weakened from previous damage, there is a smaller reserve or margin there for extra stress.

I still have never seen Dr. Lopez in real life. He is the attending physican for Dad while he is in the hospital. I called his office this morning on my way to get Mom and he called right back. He said they have identified the bacteria in Dad's blood and it is one he had last year. Pseudo something maybe? Anyway, they are trying different antibiotics on the bacteria culture now to see which one is the most effective, then they will start the antibiotic on Dad. Dr. Lopez said he would call me if anything new developed and I thought, "Yeah, yeah."

But he called this afternoon to say the pulmonologist wants Dad to have 3 weeks on antibiotics, so he will likely be moved to Solara. Yea for Solara! Dad will really think he's moved from hell to heaven now. I missed a call from the case worker, so I'll let you know more when I hear back from her.

I asked Dr. Lopez if the antibiotics could be administered at home. He said yes, depending on the frequency needed and other factors. If Dad does not do well in Solara, we can investigate that option. Frankly, as long as he's doing okay, it is nice to have him taken care of while Mom and I work through her appointments. We can reassess next week after we have treatment options for Mom.

Mom had her CT scan in the morning, then went home to recupe and nap. She visited Dad by herself in the afternoon. (I went home to nap too.) He had just had a shower and shampoo. He combed his own hair. :) An OT came in and had him sit on the edge of the bed and put his socks on. The sitter was still there and Mom liked having her.

We go tomorrow for Mom's PET scan, then will be done with appointments until Tuesday. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment