Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Oncologist Visit

Mom and I went to see Dr. Kleinbaum at 4:30 today. He told us that the tests showed Mom's cancer has spread to her lungs. Because the cancer is not contained, surgery is no longer an option. Dr. K told Mom her two remaining options are 1) try to shrink the cancer with oral chemo, or 2) do nothing. He gave an average time remaining of six to eight months.

I think Mom is in shock. She is happy that surgery is out. She is happy that Dr. K didn't tell her she has to take chemo. She completely missed that he gave her an average life expectancy. When I explained it to her, she said wonderingly: "It's like being on Death Row and I have a date. We'll see if he is right."

I'll find a good hospice care service. We need to plan how to care for Dad. I feel flattened.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry Gwen! I am praying for you and your family. So glad you are getting Hospice...they are fabulous. ((((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete