Thursday, May 13, 2010

Preparations and Concerns

Dr. Kvapil instructed us to call Mom's cardiologist. He wanted us to let Dr. Nish know that Mom will be off of all blood thinners at least until Friday. He also wanted us to let Dr. Nish know that Mom will likely be having surgery soon, so he (Dr. N) can do any necessary tests. I called Tuesday and left a message.

Dr. Nish called me Wednesday. He said he had just talked to Mom but didn't get anywhere because Mom didn't know why he was calling or what they would need to talk about. This bothers me. Dr. N asked if Mom had been showing signs of senility. I do think she is getting foggier, forgetting details. For instance, Mom couldn't remember how long ago she last had cancer. She thought maybe 14 years ago. That seems a pretty big thing to forget. I think for now, especially with everything relating to the cancer, I will need to force myself into the middle of Mom's business. I don't want to. Mom definitely doesn't want me to. But I think for now it is necessary.

And about Dr. Nish. He will be "out" (I don't know for how long) after Wednesday. He went ahead and scheduled Mom to have a chemical stress test and an EKG on Monday so he can get her results before he leaves. I haven't told Mom yet. Dr. N also assured me that Mom's blood pressure and atrial fib can be controlled in a hospital environment, so that is not an overriding concern. Good to know.

Mom called today to let me know her appointment has been changed from 9:15 to 11:30 Friday. We will get pathology results then and hopefully make appointments to get things rolling with an oncologist and surgeon. Northwest Cancer Center has been recommended by Dr. Kvapil and by a friend currently being treated for cancer. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Gwen, I think it is necessary that you be contacted by the doctors, as well as Mom. She is under stress and doesn't realize. It is good to have a back-up person anyway, to keep appointments and discuss these issues, so you are that person! I am very grateful you are available and willing. Thank you so much. BTW, new format is fine. Sorry I can't help with the heading! Love you!

    ReplyDelete