Monday, May 23, 2011

Time Flies

Whether you are having fun or not, time flies. In the last week or so:

Nate got sick.
Dave went to the doctor again.
Nate got better.
Dave got better (thank God for antibiotics...two concurrent antibiotics to be exact)
Perry finished the dining room.
Ev finished sixth grade.
Karis graduated from high school.
Meg started driving in light traffic.
Loren arrived to visit Mom.
Dave completed the first third of his doctoral work for this session and fedexed it.
And my head did not explode. Not even a little.

Wednesday morning, Meg and I stopped by to visit Mom. We found her out on the back porch, eating oatmeal straight out of the pot. We sat and visited for a while. Mom brushed her pal Mittens. Mom told me I must go see Perry's work in the dining room. I went in to see (and it is beautiful) and then I couldn't find Mom. Meg and I were looking for her to say goodbye. We found her out in the front yard, spreading cottonseed meal to feed her grass. I love how she spends every minute she can doing what she wants to do. Sure she will be tired by lunchtime, but she is enjoying her days. Go Mom go!

Mom and Karis are still doing well together. Between work and graduation and social events, Karis is not hanging around too much for Mom. They have had lunch together on Sundays and all their interaction has been good. I think they are both pleased with the arrangement. And Mom is so delighted to have Loren for a visit. The boy loves his mama and Mama loves her boy.

The latest talk is of Mom hopping in the car with Loren and taking a Grand Tour. A cross country journey of epic proportion. Part of me says, "Go for it!", and part of me says, "That's crazy talk." I have questions like, "What if Mom gets really sick along the way? In another state?" And, "What do you do if your mother dies with you in a car out of state?" On the bright side, Mom's diarrhea is gone. On the other hand, does that mean the blockage is beginning? Again, I don't want to be the one raining on Mom's parade. We'll see what Nurse Christy has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment