Saturday, May 7, 2011

She Said No

For Mother's Day, my children and husband are taking me to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the visiting Impressionist exhibit. I'm so excited! I will get to see van Gogh's self-portrait up close and personal, as well as a host of other well-known impressionist paintings by Manet, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, and the like. I'm looking forward to a day of beauty.

We invited Mom to come with us. She said she would like to, but felt it would not work. No surprise there. Gayle and I went together to get her a lovely hanging basket of petunias and verbena. She loved it and will enjoy the happy pink blooms on her back patio, her favorite place to hang out. Maybe, if I'm feeling peevish, I will remind her of these declined invitations, and her excuses, the next time she mentions flying across the country. Hmmm.

Ah well, Happy Mother's Day.

4 comments:

  1. At this time the mentions of flying are fun items for mom to consider and not have to actually do. When she was thinking of flying to KC to see Jack and we almost set it up, she finally said that she wanted me to be more like dad and just tell her no. She likes to think about traveling, but at this time in her life, it is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good perspective. I think I'm too close to see it. So you think when she talks about flying to Idaho or Arkansas or Kansas when Perry paints the kitchen, she doesn't really intend to go? I suppose that makes more sense than thinking she can actually go, but she sounds so serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an idea. Maybe I could drive down and take mom on a road trip to Arkansas and Kansas and wherever mom has the energy and strength to go. We can listen to books on CD and putter around in my little car! When does work on the kitchen start?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think driving would be the best form of transportation for Mom. Dave and I were discussing that the other day. I don't know when kitchen work starts. Perry is working on bathroom exhaust fans now and then the next thing is the dining room. He does jobs for other people periodically as well.

    ReplyDelete