Sunday, May 15, 2011

Storage Solution?

We made a quick trip to Mom's house Saturday. She was eager to have Nate mow and I was hoping to move things back into closets for Mom. I ended up just moving in a few things Mom uses regularly. Everything was so mildewy, I hated to put that back into a freshly painted closet. I will go back this next week and wipe things down. Side note: It was weird to go to visit Mom, and vist Karis at the same time.

Mom is still determined to jettison her possessions. She was disappointed that Ruth and Rich would not take more furniture when they were here, and she is angling to get Bill to take two dressers when he and Cathy come next week. Gayle crammed an antique vanity into her little Prius when she was here! No one wants to do any big hauling right now though, and Mom keeps suggesting moving things out to the garage. Her garage is even more mildewy than the house on account of the occasional creek flood passing through, so garage storage is not a good option for anything but outdoor equipment.

I think we will offer to store things at our house in order to appease Mom and keep her heirlooms in good shape. Dave and I talked about it last night, and short of renting a climate controlled storage unit, that seems the best option. I'm not thrilled about hauling stuff to my house and then hauling it back later, but it seems necessary to Mom's well-being. I suppose we could just put unclaimed stuff in Mom's garage and leave it at the mercy of heat, humidity, and mold spores, but that wouldn't be nice. And you know we southern girls are all about nice.

1 comment:

  1. We can keep some furniture in our house. Since moving John out of the game room, we have that space. We have vacant corners here and there, as well. We would be happy to help in this way. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete