Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Roomies

Karis is moved in with my mom! We took two loads of things over yesterday and did an HEB trip for toiletries and food. Karis said Grandma seemed very excited to have her. (Saturday, when the decision was made and we left Mom's house, Mom immediately called Karis' phone and left this message: "Karis...You moving in with me sounds wonderful! Bye.") Mom brought Karis nightlights last night and seemed delighted to see her this morning before she left for school. I slept in my own bed at home, but woke in the night several times. I prayed for Karis and Mom. My hope is for this to be a special time for the two of them. In many ways, they are two peas in a pod. And it is good to have a man on the inside now.

Yesterday, as we were moving in the first load, the hospice Nurse Christy came by. Karis and her friend went on, but I stayed and sat in on the weekly check-up. It's a great way to learn things you wouldn't otherwise know. Mom's weight is about the same. Her blood pressure is low-ish okay, now that they've cut her high blood pressure meds in half. Mom is having some intermittent "discomfort" around her liver area and in her lower back, especially at night.

While Christy was there, she asked Mom about travel plans for Idaho. Christy wanted to make sure they could get Mom signed up with a sister hospice organization. After we explained what small towns were nearby and how Mom would have to make at least one connecting flight, land in Spokane, and then drive over two hours, Mom verbalized that she didn't think she could really make the trip. I've been praying Mom would realize she cannot make these trips anymore; I didn't want to be the one to say no. But it made me so sad to hear her say it. Definitely the loss of a dream for Mom and a huge admission of failing health. I am so sorry. I'm just so sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Talked with mom this afternoon, and she sounded so happy about Karis staying with her! (called her the nanny). It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she called her the "nanny"! A sense of humour is a valuable thing to have! I am thankful she is so amenable to this arrangement, too! A definite answer to prayer!

    Love y'all and am praying!! XO

    ReplyDelete