Monday, May 2, 2011

Evasive Maneuvers

I haven't been over to Mom's house since Thursday. Friday, some friends picked her up to go to Fellowship Dinner at church. Saturday, Karis and Meg stopped by in the evening.

Sunday, I saw Mom at church. I saw her in the hall after Sunday School, but she was focused on a bathroom stop and in no mood to talk. I tried to catch her after the service, but she was hotfooting it for the door. None of my kids were able to visit with her either.

This morning, when Mom called to check in, she asked when I was coming by again. I asked her when she would like for me to come and take her to the bank to sign some papers. I wanted to make sure we didn't go on the day her hospice nurse comes and I couldn't remember if that was Monday or Tuesday. The Nurse Christy comes on Tuesday, but Mom didn't want to go today. She said, "It's too hard to get up and going on Monday." She said she would call after Christy comes tomorrow so we could do our errand.

I asked Mom if she wanted me to come by today. She said in horror, "No!" I assured her I was only asking because she had asked when I was coming next. She replied, "I just want a little warning." Hmmm. She knew I was coming Thursday, so it's not like I've been sneaking up on her all the time.

All this evasive behavior makes me think Mom is hiding something. Gayle wonders if something has happened and Mom doesn't want us to know that she needs help. I dunno. My friend Perry is working at Mom's today and will keep an eye on her. I will see Mom tomorrow, as will Nurse Christy. Wednesday will bring a fresh perspective. More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment