Thursday, November 19, 2009

Loud and Clear

Earlier this week, I thought I was hearing a Go Away and Leave Us Alone message from the folks. Today there is no doubt. Yesterday I asked Mom about getting together for Thanksgiving. She wanted to talk with Dad and asked me to call back today. This evening I called and asked again. Mom talked a lot about how well Dad was doing and what she thought they would have for Thanksgiving dinner. I listened and then asked:

Gwen: So, are you saying you do not want us to come over for Thanksgiving?

Mom: Yes, that is what I am saying. Are you comfortable with that?

Gwen: I am comfortable with the idea that you and Dad are fine on your own, but we had hoped to spend Thanksgiving with you.

Mom: We thought we would invite (insert neighbor name here). She doesn't have any family.

Ugh. My heart hurts.

I hurt as a daughter. Isn't it funny how no matter how old you get, your parents can make you feel like that little kid again? Rejection is never easy.

I hurt as a mother. The children each individually said that although going to Austin would be fun, they wanted to spend Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandpa. Ev pointed out that this could be Grandpa's last Thanksgiving and she asked her class to pray that we could spend it with my folks. Mom knew this; I don't know if Dad did. I hate for my children to feel that sting.

I hurt for my parents. I don't understand the paths they choose. I pray for grace.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. My heart hurts for you. Praying for you all to have a special holiday. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete