Monday, November 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today Dad is 88! We had planned to pop in for a birthday celebration complete with Mom's famous burgers and chocolate cake. Those plans changed with a phone call.

Mom called while I was working with a student, but my bosses know I keep my phone with me for exactly this type of call. Mom is known for her lack of alarm over things like fainting, falling husbands or being abandoned and walking down a five lane road to get home, so when she calls, we answer!

Mom called to say that Dad had fallen and didn't feel up to having company. She was not forthcoming with details, but did say that she had called the excellent home health nurse. Nurse Liz came right over, helped direct Dad into his chair and checked him over. Here's an excerpt from our conversation:

Gwen: So, did you call Ves (family doctor and friend)?

Mom: Oh, do you think I should?

Yep, that's what we have going on.

I called back after my last student and spoke with mom again. She had called the doctor and made an appointment! And she reluctantly agreed to let me come along.

On the way to the doctor, Dad filled me in on his version of the fall. It actually happened Sunday, yesterday, evening. Dad had walked to the kitchen from his red chair to throw away a banana peel without his walker. Freestyling. As he stood at the sink, he started to feel faint and slumped to the floor. He called for mom, who came quickly from the back of the house. He has a bruise on his back, but no abrasions or breaks.

The doctor visit was uneventful, nothing new, but very good for several reasons.
  1. Ves told Dad he needs to reinstate physical therapy. (Dad had "fired" his very good pt, which is a whole nother post.)
  2. Ves ordered a blood test for Dad's thyroid. Mom has refused to give Dad this medicine, so Ves wants to see if it is still needed. He stressed the importance of a functioning thyroid to Mom.
  3. Ves told Dad he needs to use his walker. Dad usually listens to Ves. We'll see.

At some point during the day, Mom commented about my suggestion to call the doctor. She said with wonder that Nurse Liz had said the same thing, to call the doctor. You know how some people have a very high pain tolerance? I think Mom has a very high alarm tolerance. Things that would have mere mortals screaming for help are a minor annoyance for Mom. Clearly, she is made of sterner stuff.

Anyway, happy birthday, Dad!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Gwen.
    You have a way of making me feel like I was there!
    Rich suggested that someone else should dispense the medicines - he thinks mom's in denial about how sick Dad is.

    ReplyDelete