Thursday, March 22, 2012

Respite Day Five

Today I:

*Took Ev to school early so she could set up her science fair project
*Worked with students
*Said "It was so nice to see you this week. I don't know when I'll see you again," to two of my students.
*Met with the Brighter Vistas bosses about Independent Study program
*Ate Catherine's amazing homemade tortilla soup and chocolate cake on the porch in the sun with the BV bosses
*Stopped by HEB for groceries and special request of chocolate ice cream for sister Gayle
*Delivered groceries and ice cream to house
*Had a frustrating and unproductive conversation with Mom about pain, crankiness, and medication
*Picked up Ev from school
*Got eyebrows waxed with Ev
*Got first snowcones of the year with Ev (our little town has the best snowcones) (really, the best)
*Delivered snowcones to Mom, Nate, and Gayle
*Made stir fry for dinner
*Read last chapter of Call of the Wild to Ev

Nurse Christy never came. Or called. Mom remains cranky, and staunch in her opposition to any medicine. Mom was happy to see me midday, so I tried to talk with her about her "discomfort" (never pain!) and what we could do about it. She had just confessed that she was very "protective" of her catheter bag, and didn't "trust anyone with it." I suggested taking an anti-anxiety med so she wouldn't feel so, well, anxious. I wish I had a video. Mom shifted her eyes furtively back and forth and said defensively, "I don't think I need that yet." Gah.

Gayle has talked frankly with her, and I think Mom realizes she is following a fool's path, but her defense is, "I'm a sinner and I'll be a sinner until the day I die." Hmmm. Maybe I should try that out when I don't want to do something. You want me to wheel you outside? No, I don't want to and so I won't and my defense is I'm a sinner. Sound good?

Actually, like the good little passive-aggressives we are, Gayle and I have concocted a plan that we think will make everyone feel better. It involves a bit of subterfuge, but is harmless, and hopefully beneficial for all. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. So, you're going with the tylenol in the pudding idea, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think we are far beyond tylenol. But, yes, that's the idea.

    ReplyDelete