Thursday, September 29, 2011

Projects

In the world of People-Oriented versus Task-Oriented, my mom falls decisively on the Task-Oriented side of life. She has always been very active and productive. Mom loves to have a project going.

I remember when we first had Karis and I was trying to lure Mom into coming to our house. We lived right down the street. She never came by to see us, and it hurt my feelings. I repeated to myself, "I know she loves me. I know she loves this baby." And I resorted to subterfuge and trickery. I asked Mom to come recover a chair for me. Then I asked her to do another. It worked! I have pictures of Mom holding Karis as a baby at my house, pretty much because she came for a project.

Mom has really enjoyed the big (monumental) project of having Perry redo her house. He is out in the backyard now, working on a fence. Mom doesn't want our dogs in her house, so she wants the yard fenced. I think she will enjoy her backyard more now that it is enclosed. Her neighbor's dogs have annoyed her for years. Years! I wish she had fenced across the back long ago, just for her own quality of life. I wish her many days of unmolested back porch sitting.

Mom has not been idle herself. She ripped the lining apart from the Target curtains that were hanging askew in her dining room, then finished the rough edges by hand. Now she is cleaning mildewed furniture. She will sit and work for a while, then move to Dad's red chair to catnap and store up some energy for another burst. When I was over on Tuesday, Mom was working on the curtains and was happy to listen to World magazine's new radio program online. On Wednesday though, wiping the furniture while she sat on her bed took her entire focus. She did not enjoy the radio program even though it was one of her favorite World writers. She said she couldn't follow it. By the time I left around 10:45, she was resting in the big red chair.

Hard work and productivity are simply part of who Mom is. I suspect she will have some sort of project going until the day she can no longer lift a hand. That day might not be far off, but Mom will be blowing and going until then. Go, Mama!

1 comment:

  1. I joked with Mom that I had to have a baby to get her to come and visit--and when she came I had lots of projects for her to do, several of which still are being enjoyed! She's going out fighting, working, doing, as she lived.

    ReplyDelete