Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Blow-Off, Gma Style

Last Sunday, Karis was on a weekend trip with her nanny family. Mom arranged a ride to church with some sweet friends. I don't know if I've mentioned, but Mom does not enjoy hanging out and visiting after church. And don't try to tell me it is because of her advanced age or physical condition. I don't remember Mom ever hanging out and visiting, anywhere. She is not fond of social situations and I really don't think she places a high value on personal interaction.

Knowing that their grandma is hard to catch on Sunday mornings, my kids usually try to see her before the service, or during the meet and greet time, or immediately after the service. You have to be quick, because Mom sits in the back section and makes a beeline for the door. Riding with Karis has slowed her down a little, because she has to wait for her driver, who does, in fact, enjoy hanging out and visiting. Mom usually manages at some point to give Karis the eye, and then they leave.

No such hindrance Sunday. Mom's friends call her The Queen, and when The Queen is ready to go, they go. Ev made the mistake of trying to catch her grandma as she made her break for the door last Sunday.

As Mom was walking out, Ev approached and said, "Hey, Grandma!" (If anyone is reading and is not from around here, that means, "Hi, Grandma!") Mom's friend stopped and said, "It's alright Ann. We have time for you to stop and talk with your granddaughter." Mom just kept going, tossing back, "We've spoken."

What? Ev said she hadn't talked to Grandma since earlier in the week. My daughter has brought it up several times this week. We talk about it and laugh about it, and I hug her and tell her how much I love to talk to her, but I know it has to sting. I've always been really good at blowing people off. I see now that I learned my skills from the master.

Another Thought: As Ev and I talked it over again this evening, I wondered if Mom was experiencing pain and didn't realize it. I maintain my theory that pain has to be really bad for Mom to notice. She did have the pain that kept her awake Sunday night. Maybe it was beginning Sunday morning/afternoon and although she couldn't identify it, it made her extra prickly. It's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment