Monday, September 19, 2011

Downhill Slide?



Karis sent me this pic today. She said it reminded her of Grandpa. I agree! Except much smaller.

Meg and I went by to see Mom after Meg's chemistry class (first college level exam today). Mom slept some while we were there, then she told me that she was having troublesome pain. She said it kept her up last night. (Loren later filled in that she had sat up all night reading Harry Potter, not able to sleep at all.) She said it took away her appetite today. Mom said she was looking forward to Nurse Christy's vist. She was planning to tell Christy about the pain and see if there was anything she could do. She especially was interested in something to help her sleep. Mom said she thought this was the cancer taking over. She called it her "first taste of death", saying it was a new thing to her.

Mom said she thought the timing was good. I asked her to explain. She said she was glad the house was finished. She thought I might be spending more time there soon. I thanked her for telling me about the pain and told her I was counting on her to let me know when she needed me. Of course, what I wanted to do was burst into tears, run home to pack a bag, and come back to stay with her. But I can't do that to Mom. She would hate it and probably hate me. I have to wait until she really, really needs me; until she can absolutely no longer make it on her own.

I will go tomorrow morning and stay until early afternoon. Mom has some jobs she wants me to do, so that will be a good cover. I'll also talk with Karis and ask her to call me if Mom needs me in the night. Christy showed Mom how to take some morphine to ease the pain and help her sleep. I encouraged Mom to take it so she can have a good rest. I reminded her this is not a toughness contest. She laughed and said that's what Christy said.

Mom called tonight about some other business that has been worrying her. She was excited to tell me that she laid down and had no pain. We'll see how the night goes. And we'll see if this is just another bump in the road or if it is the start of the downhill slide.

1 comment: