Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Day After

Today I went over to Mom's after dropping Ev off at school. I pulled up to the curb around 8:30 and the house looked dark. Karis had already left for classes. As I was gathering my things from the truck, I looked up and saw Mom

raking the pine needles off the driveway.

Guess that pain's better?

Mom said she had a great night's sleep, with no pain and no morphine. She had just finished her breakfast on the back patio and after a few pulls on the rake, she came inside. We sat and visited for a few minutes until she said, "I think the garage is locked." Which might sound strange to those unacquainted with the language of the passive agressive, but translated it means, "The supplies you need to get started are in the garage. You will need the key. It's time to get to work." So of course I got to work!

Perry had patched together and painted a set of our old bookshelves to match the living room. I set them up by the front door and loaded in the books Mom has given us from her treasure trove. Along with Mom's childhood breakfast table, it makes a nice library corner. (It occurs to me I should have taken a pic. Will add that tomorrow.) And so continues the weirdness that is moving into my Mom's house before she moves out. At least this part was mostly her stuff.




While I was setting up and filling the bookcase, Mom was puttering around the house. Then she sat down in Dad's chair for a nap. After that, she went out to sit on the back patio and listen to the birds. I went out and sat with her for a bit, then asked if she wanted to go to the bank. She had checks to deposit. Mom hesitated and I offered to just go for her instead. She gratefully asked, "Would you?" That's a first. (Not the gratefulness; the wanting me to do something for her that she considers her domain.) Off I went to the bank, then popped in to Panera for some take-out for the two of us, plus Mom's favorite asiago demi-loaf.

I returned to Mom's house before noon to find that she had already eaten lunch. She got hungry while I was gone, so she warmed up Karis' leftover fried rice from the weekend. She is one resourceful woman! Mom was happy about the Panera's food and declared she would eat it for dinner.

Mom did seem sort of foggy today. She talked to me about a situation that has been worrying her. I don't know all the details because I wasn't present when the initial incident occurred, but I do know that Mom misconstrued some people's words and misunderstood some intent. Then she focused on her worrisome perception of the situation and let it tie her in knots. I think the situation has been resolved and I know communication is hard in the best of circumstances, but I was surprised at all the misunderstandings.

Mom also didn't hang onto details very well during the morning. At one point she asked me where the kids were. I told her Nate and Meg didn't have to go anywhere today, so they were at home. She asked, "What's the special occasion?" I told her it was just the Tuesday schedule. Then when I got up to go to the bank, she asked if I needed to go pick up Nate from school. Nope, he's at home today. Later when I left to work with a couple of students, Mom asked again if I was going to pick up Nate from school. Uh, no. Each time I explained where Nate was, it seemed like new information.

And then there is the quote for the day.

Mom: "It would be terrible to have...that disease old people get."

Gwen: "Alzheimers?"

Mom: "Yes!"

1 comment:

  1. Oh, mama! I don't remember her ever worrying so much. Is this new or is it a symptom of the disease?

    ReplyDelete