Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seasons

Spring has sprung in our little part of the world. Two weeks ago we were concerned about freezing temperatures and icy roads. Now, all of a sudden, tulip magnolias are blooming, fresh buds of spring green are visible, and redbuds are peeking out. (I especially like to point out the redbuds as they surprise me. My kids love it.)

Mom is so happy about springtime. She is enjoying cleaning out her flower beds and planting fresh color. She loves finding new blooming things on her walks through the neighborhood. She says with wonder, "God let me see another spring!" When I suggested a trip today, she shook her head and said, "I don't want to miss springtime here."

Our ladies' bible study this semester is on seasons. Literal seasons (determined by the earth or our age) and figurative seasons (determined by our circumstances). It is not an easy, fill-in-the-blank, yes/no study. It is a thinker, a self-examiner, a won't-let-you-go-until-you-sort-it-out study. It is good.

Our study leader asked some of the ladies to write about seasons. She asked me to write about my current season. More about that later. She asked Mom to write about her favorite season. Mom said, "That was easy to pick. It is winter!" What? Why? "Because of the blessings of family," Mom whispered through tears. Incredible.

I'll post Mom's writing when I can. And I'll post mine when I write it.

Speaking of seasons, this song keeps coming to mind. I've heard that Nichole Nordeman considers this to be her best song. I'd have to agree.

Every Season by Nichole Nordeman

Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars.
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours.
And I notice You
In children’s games,
In those who watch them from the shade.
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder.
You are summer.

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time,
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside.
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds.
I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come.
You are autumn.

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep.
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath.
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass.
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter.
You are winter.

And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced,
Teaching us to breathe.
What was frozen through is newly purposed,
Turning all things green.
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change.
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me,
Summer, autumn, winter, spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment