Sunday, February 27, 2011

Here and Now

This is the rough draft of my bit for the women's ministry newsletter.

Edited a tad.


Teenagers. Death. Scary, right? But it is where I live right now. This year, the baby of our family will turn thirteen, and I will have four teenagers. This year, cancer will overtake my mom's body, and she will join my dad in heaven. Can I just pull the covers over my head until this season is over? This season is hard!

Living with teenagers is challenging. They are self-centered, irresponsible, demanding, disobedient, and hungry. We disappoint each other, annoy each other, embarrass each other, hurt each other. But living with teenagers is also rewarding. I get to live life with these four amazing people. Not only do I get to watch, but I get to be involved as God reveals who they are and who they're going to be. They are funny and fun, thoughtful and smart, helpful and hardworking, articulate and bright. They love Jesus and they love people. They shine. And as they grow and change, God uses my teenagers in my life, making me more of who He wants me to be. They make me a better person; they draw me to Jesus.

Walking with my mom through the valley of the shadow of death is challenging. We tote with us a lifetime of baggage, opportunities missed, words left unsaid, scars from old wounds. Adjustments and changing roles are hard. The path ahead is a place we've never been, and the impending loss is heart-rending. But we spend time together like never before, in ways large (a cruise!) and small. We talk, we smile, we embrace. My family has the privilege of living close and the honor of serving. I am blessed by how each of my children, and my husband, minister to my mom in their own unique way. We get to learn lessons together in the school of compassion. We get to carry each other. If my mom has to walk through the valley, I'm glad I can walk in the shadows with her.

Teenagers. Death. The temptation to hide under the covers can be strong; but if I hid, I would miss all the good God has planned for me, even in this difficult season.

2 comments: