Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside

Sunday, we had a high of 74* and a low of 60*. Then Tuesday, we had a high of 66* and a low of 22*. For the past two days, we have had highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's. I know many people endure temperatures hovering around freezing for months at a time; they are made of sterner stuff than we are! This is just crazy cold for us. And to top it off, we are forecast to get snow/freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. The snow/ice is expected to stick because of the unusually chilly ground temps. School is cancelled and we are looking forward to a fun snow day at home.

I called Mom today to see if I could pick up anything from the store for her. I asked her if she had enough wood to burn for 24 hours, in case we lose power. I'm anticipating a lot of icy limbs down. There have already been outages due to frozen water pipes at power plants. Really, I'm not kidding when I say we are not cut out for this kind of weather around here.

Of course, there was nothing I could do for Mom. I was pleased to hear Hospice had called to check on her already. Her friends had brought a fresh supply of firewood. She did let me give her a ride home from a memorial service today (yes, more death) because her ride was staying to help serve dinner to the family and Mom did not want to stay.

On the way home, I asked Mom if she had brought extra wood inside.
She said yes.
I asked how many pieces.
She told me to go home.
Ev and I got out of the truck and each carried in a full armload of wood.
Mom had 5 pieces of firewood inside.
That woman!

I know Mom has to go sometime, from something. I would just prefer if she didn't freeze to death or crack her head open on the ice on my watch. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Can't believe you are having this cold and ice, too! St. Louis was spared the worst--just 5 inches of sleet/ice and plenty of electricity, and 2 snow days! Hope Texas will warm up for my visit next week! Mom better stay inside if it ices up! No walks until ice is gone. Are you listening, Mom?

    ReplyDelete