Monday, October 4, 2010

Skagway

Tuesday morning dawned sunny and warm on us in Skagway. We all went up the mountain on the White Pass narrow gauge train. We learned about the crazy history of the area and took in a lot of gorgeous scenery. After the train ride, Mom and Gayle went back to the ship for lunch and a nap. Cathy and I shopped in the quaint town. We asked at the chamber of commerce for locally-owned shops with locally-made merchandise and found some we really liked.

Cathy and I headed back to the ship for lunch and returned to town with Gayle and Mom in tow. We stopped by a little museum and the ranger station. At the ranger station, we enjoyed an unintentionally hilarious video about dealing with bear encounters. And then, Mom shopped! Voluntarily. Happily. Strange days, indeed. She enjoyed the train depot shop. She suffered through some jewelry shops and then went off to find a bathroom. She didn't find the bathroom, but she found the Sarah Palin store.

When we were finally through shopping, I began looking around for the shuttle to take us back to the boat. When Mom realized what I was doing, she asked indignantly, "Are you waiting for the shuttle because of me???" Then off she marched toward the pier, with the three of us scrambling to keep up. Quintessential Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I am enjoying it, finding I'm disappointed when I visit and you haven't posted the next installment. I am tickled, as I usually am, at your mom's escapades and comments. She is a pearl.

    ReplyDelete