Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Guessing Game

Tonight we attended a fundraiser banquet for Dave's dad's ministry. We hosted a table and asked Mom to come as our guest. Dave did the inviting to up the "yes" factor for Mom. Earlier I popped in to visit Mom and look at some mail she had asked about. While I was looking at some books she wanted to show me, we had an interesting conversation.

Mom: I've decided not to go tonight.

Gwen: Really? Why?

Mom: Well, it is at night.

Gwen: Yes, it is. I was planning to pick you up.

Mom: But you are so busy.

Gwen: I'm bringing Karis to work at 5:00. I thought I would just pick you up around 5:15.

Mom: But then you would have to bring me back home.

Gwen: Yes, that's true. I'll be picking Karis up from work at 10:00 anyway. Even if I wasn't, I'd have to come through town to get home. The only way to get straight from the banquet to my house is by boat. [Different sides of the lake.]

Mom: Well, okay. If you would be coming this way anyway.

This obsession with not being a bother is really getting old! It forces me into a guessing game. Does she really not want to come? Or is she just trying to protect me? And from what? Time with her? Argh!

I took advantage of the captive audience time while Mom and I drove out to the banquet. I told Mom that yes, I'm busy. Who isn't??? But the day I get too busy for my kids or my husband or my MOM, something is really wrong! I sure hope I got through.

Mom did say on the drive home that she enjoyed the banquet and was glad she had gone. I guessed right. :)

1 comment:

  1. My parents are like that too. Sigh. It gets SO old. Glad she went with you all!

    ReplyDelete