Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Handshake Deal

On Monday, Mom and I had lunch together at Panera's. I invited her, but she treated me to a bowl of delicious soup and a nice time of conversation. We caught up, Mom had some questions about mail, we talked about her steady stream of weekend visitors.

Last Tuesday when I had her captive on the way to the banquet, I had broached the subject of my family moving in with her when she needs 24 hour care. I knew she would need time to reject it outright, then mull it over, and maybe reconsider. She actually brought it up herself in the course of our conversation Monday.

Mom: Now, about the idea of your family moving in with me. Only when I am bedfast!

Gwen: Oh, that is the only way. We would only move in when you need constant care, Mom. Not a minute before. We want you to be independent until you just can't anymore.

Mom: (General agreement.)

Then, Mom actually stuck her hand out across the table so we could shake on it! What a hoot.

2 comments: