Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Juneau

Sunday night, Gayle left dinner early and by the time we returned to our little room, she was in bed asleep. At some point in the night, I heard Gayle and Mom discussing who would go in the bathroom first. At some later point in the night, I realized Gayle was throwing up. She woefully admitted to being sick and repeatedly apologized for exposing us all. I think she envisioned being Patient Zero in the cruise ship plague.

We called guest relations, got the ship clinic opened up (which I'm pretty sure involved waking a nurse and a doctor), and asked for a wheelchair to come pick up my sister. By this time, Gayle was shaking uncontrollably and in a lot of pain. It finally dawned on me when she described the pain as being around her back and through her diaphragm, and then she said, "I keep throwing up but I don't feel better." Oh! I know that feeling. Gallbladder.

The ship's doctor ran a battery of tests to rule out other things, then mercifully gave Gayle an i.v. with fluids, anti-nausea meds, and morphine. She was able to sleep and I went back to our room. The good news: not a contagion. The bad news: possible emergency surgery in Juneau.

Monday morning was full of wonder as our ship approached Tracy Arm Fjord. The glacial water was a beautiful icy blue. I slept in as Mom and Cathy watched the scenery off our balcony. When the glacier was dead ahead, they woke me and went up to the top deck. It was an amazing sight! Cathy was our official photographer, so I'll post pics when she sends copies.





We visited Gayle in the ship hospital (1st floor, if you're wondering), and planned our day. If Gayle had to disembark in Juneau for surgery, Cathy would stay behind with her. I would continue on with Mom. In light of that possibility, we packed up Gayle and Cathy's bags. Since Cathy's cruise might be ending sooner than expected, Cathy went on the whale watching excursion with Mom in Juneau. They also went to the Mendenhall Glacier. They had a great time and arrived back at the ship just in time for our 8:30 dinner seating. Again, pictures on the way.



Gayle and I had a whole different kind of excursion. First, Gayle was wheeled down the ramp in her nightgown and cruise ship robe. Then, she was moved onto a gurney and wheeled to a waiting ambulance. For the full effect, you have to picture thousands of cruise ship tourists milling around to find their various excursion transportation. With Gayle rolling through. Sort of like a parade. (We found out later that our dinner tablemates saw her and pointed her out to their fellow travelers. "Look! We know her!") So we got all loaded up into the ambulance, the guy turned the key, and click. Click click click click. Have you ever seen an ambulance get a jump? I have.

To make a very long story somewhat shorter, Gayle received wonderful care in Juneau. Among the usual hospital questions, she was asked, "What time does your ship leave?" An ultrasound revealed she did indeed have gallstones, many and large, but did not need to have emergency surgery. She was released to get back on the ship, armed with a prescription and some diet recommendations. She may be the only person I know who has lost weight on a cruise. What an adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Oh bless her heart!! As a fellow member of the galladder club, I'm so sorry that happened on the cruise! What an adventure, indeed!
    I love hearing about your trip, Gwen! I'm just tickled at your mom's excitement. Good on her! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should let the readers know that God was gracious to allow me to return to St. Louis, see my Dr. and then two days later have another attack, which prompted my Dr. to have me call the surgeon immediately, and I had the surgery a few days later (Mon, Oct. 4) and now am recovering at home very thankfully! So glad we all could continue the wonderful trip, and so happy to be at home, recovering, not in Juneau!

    ReplyDelete