Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another Place I Never Thought I'd Go

Alaska.

But on Friday my mom and I will fly to Seattle, where we will meet one of my sisters and one of my sisters-in-law, and get on a really big boat together. And we will sail to Alaska!

As my brother Bill helped Mom get her finances in order after Dad's passing, he asked her if there was anything she wanted to do with her money. She replied, "Well, I've always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise." And so, thanks to a ton of research and work from my sister-in-law, we leave Friday. It's crazy!

I'm really happy for Mom to get to do something she has always wanted to do. I'm excited to be able to enjoy it with her. But I'm also sad. I wonder if this is how Make a Wish families feel. Happy, excited, and sad. How do you take a fun trip that you know is your very last?

2 comments:

  1. I am excited, too, Gwen! I'm happy for Mom,that she is being so bold adventurous! Yes, it is bittersweet. I'm coming down with Lydia, tomorrow, because I know that time is running out, and she wants to say goodbye to her Grandma. My kids are losing 3 grandparents in one year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I pray that, at least while you are there, the fun will override the sad! Live it up and celebrate your mom!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete