Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Celebration of Life

After the graveside service, the family drove over to the church. Some kind friends had set up a breakfast area for us in a private room. It was nice to sit, eat, and collect ourselves before the public service.

The Celebration of Life service was long and sort of a variety show, but I think everyone got some of what they wanted, and Mom was pleased.




Grandson Paul sang. Children and grandchildren played beautiful music. It was clear to me that my sisters especially expressed their love for Dad in their music.


Grandson Jonathan read the obituary. Same grandson could not contain himself at the conclusion of the service and came back up to make some comments. (Guess his occupation?)


Brother-in-law Mark gave the eluogy. You can read it here.


Grandson William read scripture. He attended bible college and seminary with the help of a scholarship from Dad.


Dave's dad Lou prayed. He was Dad's pastor when Dad was on the elder board.


Mark led singing. From the hymnal. Dad's fondest desire. [Someone mentioned singing choruses and I pointed out that Dad doesn't like choruses. (I mean he REALLY does not like choruses.) Bill sagely observed, "He does now." Which made me laugh.]




Dave gave the message based on Isaiah 26:3, Dad's favorite verse. He used Numbers 6:24-26 as a benediction. Then we went out to Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these pictures, Gwen. Yes, it was a joyful celebration of life, and it was a joy to honor our father through the gift of music he made possible! (I do remember him complaining profusely (uncharacteristically) when he bought my first flute, a student model. After that, he was quite compliant in funding our musical pursuits! Thanks, Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so missed getting to be there. Thanks for the pics. Your mom is so much on my mind these days.
    I have so many "Annisms" coming to mind.
    We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete