Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tale of Two Days

Subtitle: You Just Never Know

Easter was a lovely day at our/Grandma's house. Everyone except Mom and I went off to Sunday School and church. Mom had a quiet morning and I was able to put a roast in the crock pot, start jello salad, and prep vegetables. The kids came home after church and helped me finish up. (The platter on the left is Mom's pattern. The platter on the right is the only other Blue Ridge Pottery with the same color border as Mom's. Gayle found it for me. Thank you sister!)

By the time Dave got home, Mom had watched her 1:00 program and lunch was ready. Everything went so smoothly and Mom was so happy, I wished I had invited Dave's parents to join us. After Mom's nap, she enjoyed her Easter basket out on the driveway. Dave hid the kids' baskets and they colored eggs. It was such a nice day!

Brimming with optimism over our excellent Easter day, I awoke Monday morning ready to celebrate Nate's birthday. What is that saying about counting your chicks before they hatch? Mom had a hard day. She needed a diaper change every hour, sometimes continuing the deed during the change. At about the fifth change, I realized my staying up late to reread The Hunger Games had not been such a good idea. Mom didn't sleep well during her naps, which didn't give me a chance to do much of anything other than answer the bell. I'm so thankful I had Meg and Ev home from school! They essentially took over the kitchen, making Nate breakfast, baking gluten free cupcakes, handling clean up. They also wrapped presents and provided general cheer.

Ev and I made a mad dash up the street to the grocery during Mom's last nap of the day for some birthday dinner supplies and candles. Dinner was late, but at least it happened. Mom asked for her dinner at 6:00 as usual, and then joined us for Nate's birthday dinner at 7:30. She watched Hannity at 8:00, then came to the table again for cupcakes, ice cream, and presents at 9:00 when Karis came home from work. Happy Birthday, Nate!

Oh my. It makes me tired just thinking about it. I think I'll go have some more coffee, and thank God that today seems to be an easier day. And that my sister Ruth is coming Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your Easter went so smoothly. (((Gwen))) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete