Monday, April 23, 2012

Say What You Need to Say, Part Deux

While Ruth was here, Mom's catheter really acted up. By the end of her stay, it was leaking all night, every night. Aggravating and exhausting for both Ruth and Mom. For the past two nights though it has worked and worked well. So when Nurse Christy came armed with fresh catheters today, Mom seemed a little hesitant about the change. Christy said although it was time for a change, Mom could wait if she wanted. Mom asked what I thought. I reminded her of the last time we waited and the ensuing bladder infection. Mom chose to change the catheter today.

The change seemed to go smoothly, although Christy was concerned that the catheter did not begin to draw immediately. She went on to see her next patient with the agreement that I would call if it didn't work. It didn't work. I called. She couldn't come back til the end of the day. Meanwhile, the lovely Cassandra/Carissa/Ceturah arrived. Mom wanted to shower, and as she stepped into the tub the catheter just fell out. Fell out. It was then that Mom told Cassandra, "I knew she didn't get it in." What???

I was standing in Karis and Meg's room as Cassandra related this information to me. She said Mom didn't tell Christy that the catheter wasn't in because she "didn't want to hurt her feelings." What??? Karis laughed and asked, "Since when?" (Love her.) I mean, really, concern for others' feelings has never been an overriding restriction for my mom! And what a time for it to kick in.

Cassandra made some calls and arranged for another nurse to come and fix Mom up with another catheter. This one works. Poor Mom! I'm sure she is sore and worn out from all that invasive work. I hope this one is a keeper.

And once again, I repeat my mantra:

What do I think?
What do I feel?
What do I want?
Say it!

No comments:

Post a Comment