Saturday, April 7, 2012

Feeding the Monster

Mom is skin and bones. She is too weak to stand on the scale, so I can only imagine how much weight she has lost. She was around 110 in January. We thought she was thin then, but when Loren and I looked at pictures from the birthday bash, we realized Mom looked robust compared to now. This past week, Mom looked at her legs and said, "I've seen these legs before. On starving people in Africa." I didn't tell her that I had been thinking holocaust.

So it is amazing to me the amount of food this woman puts away every day! She so wants to lose her appetite, because that is in her hospice literature as a sign of approaching death. She pores over that literature and anticipates every change. When Nurse Christy asks if she has any appetite changes, Mom tries to tell her that she is losing her appetite, but the evidence belies her claims.

So far today, Mom has eaten:

1 egg, over easy
1 strip of bacon
1 piece multigrain toast, lightly buttered
1 cup coffee
2 scoops of ice cream (breyer's vanilla)
1 handful gluten free pretzels
2 bowls albondigas soup
1 small bag m&ms
1/2 chocolate cakeball
1 tuna sandwich, pickle slice on side
2 peach halves
1/2 c. tomato juice

Oh my word. The only explanation is that the cancer is getting all the nutrition. I'm glad though that Mom still has an appetite. Food makes her so happy. Nate loves to make her tuna sandwich so he can deliver it and be part of his grandma's happy place. Now Mom is watching Huckabee and I've ordered a pizza for Nate, Ev, and me. I might have to come back and add The Works pizza to Mom's list.

Sure enough, but just a 1/4 slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment