Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wholly Guacamole

When we returned from the Garden Party Saturday, Mom wanted Ev and me to come inside to see the freshly painted hallway. She also had been wanting to give me some food leftover from my sister's visit. Mom bagged up some tostitos, olives, and sour cream, but she couldn't find the guacamole. She looked high and low, moving things around in the fridge and muttering. I wondered if she had transferred it to the freezer, but no. Mom was flummoxed, and wondered aloud if someone had come in and stolen her guacamole.

I must admit that I laughed out loud at that point, and texted my sister to see if she knew anything about The Case of the Missing Guacamole. Ruth texted right back to say that Mom had urged her to take the guacamole home with her...so she had. Mom was relieved to know the answer, but she didn't remember giving it to Ruth at all.

At the Garden Party, I didn't introduce Mom to the lady sitting next to her, because I knew they had met previously. On the way home, Mom asked me who she was. Also at the party, another lady was telling how her children years ago had learned to like eggplant, because they would tend Mom and Dad's plot at the Senior Citizens' Community Garden when they were out of town. Mom said wonderingly, "It's like you're telling me something totally new!" She had no recollection.

Which makes me wonder...how long do we let Mom live alone? All of those lapses are harmless, but how long will that last? And how will I know? Will Mom know? Or will we have to say, that's it, no more living alone. As Dad deteriorated mentally, he had Mom to redirect him and keep him somewhat straight. Mom doesn't have anyone looking out for her and helping her along.

What if?
How?
When?


At least I know where and why.

1 comment:

  1. So hard to know these answers. Watched the same thing happen to my mother-in-law. Mark's sister Martha checked on her morning and evening, and she was so confused she couldn't even take her medication in pill box without help. We (the family) waited through many weeks of confusion, wondering each day if it was the right decision to put off someone being there full-time. Then came the days on the couch, then the days in bed--dying takes time, and often takes longer than one would imagine. No answers...just watchful waiting for now.

    ReplyDelete