Friday, April 22, 2011

Side Effect

A side effect of Mom no longer driving is emerging.

A really nice side effect.

Mom is reaching out to more people around her. For Bible Study Fellowship on Wednesday, Mom called a longtime acquaintance from the neighborhood. The sweet lady was delighted to take Mom and as Mom marveled, "She even brought me home!" For our Good Friday service tonight, Mom called her neighbor from across the street who is retired and looking for service opportunities. I offered Karis to chauffer Mom on Sundays, but she had already worked something out with friends.

Of course, people are delighted to help Mom. She has this special charm that draws people to her, even as she tries to send them away. I think it will be good for Mom to have more social contact and I know spending time with her is a bonus for anyone who gets the chance.

BTW, I'm taking Karis over today to pick up Mom's car. Mom has long talked about Karis having her car after she (Mom) dies, but she wants Karis to take the car now. Mom said, "If I leave the car in the garage, you know what will happen." I asked, "What will happen?" Mom replied, "I'll be tempted to drive it!" Now she is happy it can be a birthday gift for Karis. :)

3 comments:

  1. very cool. Mom is very special in her own way! It is happy that Karis likes the car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Karis! Every 18 year old's dream gift, right? And you are keeping Grandma safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gwen,

    I just wanted you to know I think of you often. I pray these times with your mother continue to be sweet.

    My dad is keeping my mom's car for my eldest daughter. She will be driving this summer and is looking forward to having Grammy's car.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete