Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sweet

Last night, Mom headed off to bed early. She was just exhausted by 8:15 and ready to call it quits. She said goodnight and shushed down the hall with her walker. While she was parked at the bathroom, I heated her rice bag and hung it back on the walker. A little while later, my cell phone buzzed. It was Mom. "Gwen," she croaked, "would you come tuck me in?"

Sweet.

I walked back to find Mom under the covers, but with her light still on. She asked me to plug in her nightlight and turn out her lamp. Then she said, "Gwen, I hope I can say this. Remember the party weekend when everyone was here? And you all decided someone should move in? And then Dave said you would move in the next weekend??? The timing was just right. I am so glad you are here."

Sweet.

This morning, Dave and I agreed that I should stay home from church to be with Mom. When she discovered I was still here, I explained, "I hope you don't mind. I wanted to stay home with you." Again, Mom said she was glad I was with her.

Sweet.

1 comment: