Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Parcel Post

I have a friend I've never met. Shelly is one of many wonderful internet friends I've met on the Five in a Row message boards over our 13 years of homeschooling. This particular friend is a stand-out in one unique way. She now lives where my mom was born and raised. No, not in the same exact farmhouse, but close. Very close!

Shelly and I have kept up a casual conversation over the years. When my Aunt Helen's book was published, I sent her a copy. She and her husband read it, enjoying the references to familiar places and faces. When Aunt Helen passed away, and I was searching for a florist in the area, Shelly offered assistance. She also offered to give us a tour of the area, but Mom was set on only spending the afternoon for Helen's service and no more. So, you see the kind and considerate friend she has been to me.

This past week, she extended her friendship to my mom as well. Shelly had checked with me previously, but honestly, it had slipped my mind. On Tuesday, I zipped home after my morning students to check on Mom and have some lunch. After serving Mom, I left her to eat in peace with her buddy Rush Limbaugh. That man interferes with my digestion, so I made myself scarce in the back bedroom. I was surprised then to get a phone call from Mom, cell phone to cell phone. She said in her reedy voice, "Hey Gwen! Come see what I got in the mail!"

Back in the kitchen, Mom was holding a manila envelope covered in beautiful hand-drawn sunflowers. I looked at the return address, and then I remembered my friend's plan to bless my mom. At Mom's request, I opened the well-sealed packet and handed her the contents. Mom was mystified to find a lovely card signed with names she didn't recognize. I reminded her about my friend on the prairie, and she remembered hearing about her. Mom enjoyed the pictures drawn by my friend's daughter of different prairie scenes. She appreciated the thoughtful card. Then she discovered the photographs.

On the day Shelly sent the package, her husband drove her around to various spots from Mom's childhood. (I'm tearing up as I type.) It was a clear day with that blue prairie sky that goes on forever. They took a picture of Mom's grade school, which is now a home. (Mom said it looked better than she had imagined.) They took pictures of the rolling hills and landmarks. They even drove down roads that Mom would remember and labeled them on the back. And they drove by her house, her beloved family home.

Mom looked up and exclaimed, choking back tears, "I ask for joy..." And then it was hard for me to continue talking with her because I was teary too. God is so amazing, arranging all this simply to lavish love on one of His children.

Shelly also included a sweet, newsy, four page letter to Mom. She introduced herself, told about her family, and talked about familiar people and places. It was just perfect. Mom has read it over and over again. "Your friend Shelly should be a writer!" "It's wonderful her husband has such a love for the land!" "I'm going to send her one of the photos of the home place and one of mama with her chickens."

Mom continues to weaken mentally, physically, and emotionally. But Tuesday, she was animated for the rest of the day. I heard her on the phone at 9:30 that night, from her bed, exclaiming over her package from Kansas. I think my friend sent much more than photographs, pictures, and words in that manila envelope. I think she sent Mom a little packet of life. And around here, that is a pretty precious gift.

6 comments:

  1. Gwen, it's my turn to get teary-eyed. I am so glad that your mom enjoyed our little offering -- it was fun to put together, and it blesses us that she got some pleasure from it all. Your blog post was most gracious -- thank you for your kind words. I told my husband that he and your mom would love visiting together, since he knows a lot about the area. They could even share a sandwich and listen to Rush -- ha! God bless you all... We will keep in touch and be in prayer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing from a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really beautiful. :sniff:

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful moment to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teary here too just hearing about this precious gift of the heart! :group:

    ReplyDelete