Monday, June 27, 2011

A Whole New Level

Of weirdness, that is.

You know Mom has progressed from having three closets painted to redoing the guest room, master bedroom and bathroom, hallway, living room, dining room, and kitchen, plus fencing the backyard. Perry is doing an amazing job and Mom is really pleased with the results. The house does look really nice.




But here's the weirdness, at least to me. As Perry has progressed through the house, Mom has refused to put back up any of her pictures or decorations. Okay, that kind of makes some sense to me. But this weekend, Mom asked me to decorate the mantle, the built-in china cabinet, and her buffet...with my stuff. From my house. Not her stuff. My stuff. She said she wanted to see what it would look like with my things. So I did. It was weird and oddly angst-filled for me. Gayle texted me later to say, "Mom is so happy with your decorating! She says, 'I think this shows that Gwen really wants to move in here and will be happy here.'" Okay.


Mom's desire was to see my china in her cabinet. Wish granted.


Really, I would have decorated the buffet with a lot of family pictures. Gayle cautioned me that Mom has criticized her for having "too many pictures" of her family around her house, so I used stuff instead.


The prop, picture of Dad, and books are actually Mom's. I snuck those in there for some nostalgia and she didn't seem to mind.

4 comments:

  1. Gwen, this doesn't seem so weird to me...Mom is ready to go to her heavenly home and she is so happy that you are going to live in her former home. It is yours now. She is giving it to you, and as a strange bonus, she gets to see you in your home, (a little like "Our Town" and "It's a Wonderful Life" put together) not in a heavenly visit, but here, in the flesh. It is a gift to her, from the Father who is granting her longer life than any of us expected. Grace granted to our mother...and to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree!! I think it is comforting to her to see that something that has been such an extension of who she is is going to someone she loves and who will care for it! It seems to be part of the letting go process for her!

    You are a wonderful daughter, friend, and I am praying for you as you deal with such a myriad of emotions! I know it can't be easy!!! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. And the house looks great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Gwen, sweet friend. What emotions! My dad used to say, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies." I would amend that to "Growin' up ain't for sissies."

    When did we get to be the grown-ups? (the central question of my life right now) And when did we become equipped to deal with these things? (or are we yet?) This is hard.

    I love your mom. What a woman! As are you, friend.

    ReplyDelete